Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Himalayan Journey I

These pictures were taken below the tree-line (up to 3500 meters) in the states of Himachal Pradesh and Uttaranchal, and include locations in the Kullu Valley, the Parvati Valley, at Tungnath, in Kinnaur and in the Sangla Valley. I was accompanied during the trips by the ever cheerful and helpful Viraj and we traveled by jeep, public bus, horse or donkey and by foot. The Hindus believe that God abides in the Himalayas and I understand why. If I was God I’d live there. Tomorrow’s pictures will be of the Himalayas above the tree line.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully breath-taking!

Unknown said...

Hi Bante,

Fantastic photos !

I heard that The Buddha gave a lot of Dhamma talk at Vulture Peak. Have you been there and have photos? Would love to read you blog on this.

Thanks and metta,
Terrance

dyannne said...

Bhante, Wonderful travelogue. Thanks for sharing. Be safe.

Shravasti Dhammika said...

Dear Terrance,
The Vulture’s Peak (Gijjhakuti) is just outside the town of Rajgir (the Rajagaha of the Buddhist text)in Bihar. It is a low rocky hill in the side of a much higher hill and neither of them is anyway near as impressive as the Himalayas. But it has a certain atmosphere, the Buddha having stayed there many times. Seeing as you are interested, I will post a picture of the Vulture’s Peak tomorrow.

Shravasti Dhammika said...

Dear Dyanne
Thank you for your comments. I notice that your ‘dreams’ are so upekkha that there are none of them. What happened?

dyannne said...

Dear Bhante,
I had great plans for a blog, but am having a difficult time putting thoughts into any kind of coherent whole! In the meantime, it is inspiring reading of your travel adventures and observations of the Dhamma. So, I continue dreaming of Upekka.