Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Noel Coward On Religion

Noel Coward was urbane, funny and sophisticated, but also rather shallow. In 1949 he wrote to his longtime friend Esme Wynne, who was trying to win him for God: ‘My philosophy is as simple as ever. I love smoking, drinking, moderate sexual intercourse on a diminishing scale, reading and writing (not arithmetic). I have a selfless absorption in the well-being and achievements of Noel Coward… In spite of my unregenerate spiritual attitude, I am jolly kind to everybody and still attentive and devoted to my dear old Mother.’ However, Coward could sometimes pose some pretty interesting questions about religion, as in his little-known poem ‘Do I Believe in God’.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY--_tfeIrk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a man of passion in whatever he did