Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Blessings

Complain! Complain! Complain! We are always complaining. Rising prices, dishonest politicians, the neighbours, the quality of the stuff on the TV. I suppose its only natural. After all, this is samsara. Nonetheless, sometimes it is a good idea to stop for a while and give some thought to the many advantages you are privileged to. Based on the Buddha’s teachings of quite contemplation (anussati) I wrote these words some years ago and once every two or three weeks, at the end of my daily mediation, I read them to myself.

Infinite in number and variety are the states of existence beings are born into. I have been born as a human being.
Countless are those who cannot speak or hear what is spoken to them, who cannot see to read or who lack the power to reason and ponder. I have been born with all limbs and facilities complete.
Many are those who dwell in lands of strife and conflict and who are deprived of security and safety. I am living in a land that is at peace.
Incalculable are those who toil without end and who are driven by hunger and want. I have wealth to sustain the body and time to give it rest.
Numerous are those whose bodies and minds are in bonds, who are not their own masters; unable to go where they wish, unable to think as they like. I enjoy great freedom.
Without number are those who abide in regions where the light of the Dhamma shines not or where its message is not heard above the racket of false doctrines. I have heard and understood the good Dhamma.
Truly precious is this human life and great are the blessings I enjoy. I here and now, before the Buddha, contemplate my own good fortune and resolve to use this rare opportunity to work for my own good and the good of others. With strong determination I will overcome all obstacles great and small.

3 comments:

Lina Tjan said...

That's true, Bhante..
I used to be thankful to all the blessings i've had, until some time ago I did nothing but complained. But I've promised myself to count my blessings again and be thankful for them, and my life is back on track, not so complicated anymore and happier. Thanks to your articles that keeps reminding us to walk and live the Dhamma path. May all beings be free from sufferings and be happy.

Andy said...

Dear Venerable Sir, profound words indeed, Iam always amazed by the human rebirth that has been available to me and its rarity.
The Buddha said about this rarity in the Balanpandita Sutta about being born human again after being born as an animal.
“O monks, I will give you a simile. A man makes a hole in a log and sets it adrift in the ocean. When the wind comes from the east the log drifts westwards. When the wind blows from the west, it drifts eastward. Similarly, north winds push it to the south, and south winds push it to the north. In the ocean is a one-eyed turtle that surfaces only once every hundred years. Is it possible that the one-eyed turtle would put its head up through the hole in the log?” (Majjhimanikaya Sutta 129)

This is nigh impossible but there is a slight chance that someone born an animal will take human birth again. It shows just how rare human rebirth is.With those thoughts I will go and do some meditation.

kind regards

andy c

JD said...

I've been on and off with the complaining, but this is quite a wise reflection that is sorely needed when we get off track and get into a complaining mode. This was quite timely for me, thank you very much.