Saturday, October 4, 2008

Doctor Jivaka

Jivaka Komarabhacca was the Buddha’s personal physician and the father of Buddhist medicine. Tradition says he was the son of a prostitute of Rajagaha. After his birth he was put in a basket and thrown on a rubbish heap from where he was rescued by Prince Abhaya and adopted by him. An abandoned child would usually be fairly quickly eaten by dogs and crows but because he was still alive (java) he was called Jivaka. The second part of his name is probably derived from kaumarabhrtya, the Sanskrit term for obstetrics and pediatrics. When he grew up he was sent to Takkasila (modern Taxila in northern Pakistan) where he studied medicine for seven years under the sage Atreya. On his return to Rajagaha he quickly earned a reputation as a skilled physician and was eventually appointed court physician to King Bimbisara.
Jivaka became a disciple of the Buddha and would treat him and any monks or nuns when they became sick. He had a beautiful mango garden just outside the east gate of Rajagaha which he donated to the Buddha and which later developed into a large monastery (D.I,47). The remains of this monastery were discovered in 1954 and excavated by archaeologists. The Buddha delivered two discourses to Jivaka. In the first he gave the conditions under which monks and nuns can eat meat and in the second he defined a lay disciple as one who has taken the Three Refuges and who observes the five Precepts (M.I,389; A.IV,222). Because of the dedicated attentive care with which he ministered to his patients, the Buddha praised Jivaka as chief amongst his disciples who were ‘loved by the people’(A.I,26).

5 comments:

Justin Choo said...

Bhante,

Thanks for this info. I often wonder where you got all these info?

Care to share your secrets?

Shravasti Dhammika said...

Dear Justin,
I read a lot.

Unknown said...

is it true that Jivaka prescribed a meat broth for the Buddha when the Buddha was ill?

Unknown said...

I’m very excited to inform everyone that I’m completely cured from HSV1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it’s really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured from HSV1&2 with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful. herbalist called Dr. Onokun and it completely fought the virus away my nervous system and I tested negative after 14 days of using the herbal medicine. I’m here to let everyone know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr. Onokun and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

robetharmonton said...

I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486