Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Very Grateful Leopard

Bhopal, Feb 8 : A day after a tiger was rescued from a well near Nagpur, a year-and-half old leopard was Tuesday extricated from a well in Dewas district of Madhya Pradesh after a six-hour rescue operation, officials said. “When I reached my fields in the morning around 7 a.m., I heard a sound from the well. I looked and found a leopard in the well,” said Chaganlal, a farmer. Chagan informed the forest department. But soon, a large number of villagers gathered near the well. They made many attempts to take out the leopard, but without success. “Later, we used a cage and successfully took out the leopard from the well,” said B. S. Annagiri, the forest conservator. The leopard would be released in the Dewas forest area after a medical check-up. On Monday, a full grown adult tiger had fallen into a 40-feet-deep dry well near Nagpur. He was rescued after a three-hour rescue operation.(IANS)

6 comments:

Sam Vega said...

It says they used a cage, but the pictures show the leopard being rescued with nothing more than a ladder, some rope, and an enormous amount of human courage and compassion. Thanks for a really heartwarming story!

j d said...

Thanks for the wonderful pictures. Was that the vet carting the Leopard up the ladder or was it a local villager...who knows!
How could such an agile animal lose its balance and topple into a well?

Guide Sim said...

សូមជំរាបសួរ
ចង់សំភ្ជាប់ជាលិងមិត្តផងបានទេបាទ?
សួមអរគុណទុកជាមុនបើអាច
សីម

Sam said...

Dear Dhamma,
Thanks for this heartwarming story. I really needed it after being in agony thinking about animal cruelty in the world (watched fur farm skinning animals alive video on youtube).

I was a teacher at Balestier Hill Primary School previously. I always walked by the coffeeshop, saw you several times, but I never had the courage to explore Buddhism, being a born Catholic.I have been seeking answers about suffering, the immense amount of suffering in the world, and sometimes when I read your book "good question good answer" and attribute this insane suffering in the world to karma, I feel slightly better.

If you are free, I would like to seek some advice from you about dealing with suffering.

Shravasti Dhammika said...

Dear Sam,
Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Sam said...

Yes I will, possibly this Tuesday at noon. I am looking forward to seeing you.